Kick Off Marathon Weekend with Pep Rally at Niketown
Are you ready for marathon weekend in Chicago? Niketown is bringing in the big guns for a pep rally on Thursday, October 8, to help kick-off a weekend of activities celebrating the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.
A slew of elite athletes will be coming to Niketown, 669 N. Michigan Ave., for a fun run starting at 6:30 p.m. The event is free and open to everyone, whether or not you’re running the marathon on Sunday. Joining the local runners for the pre-run rally will be:
• Chicago Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox, who made headlines last week with his 102-yard kickoff return for a touchdown
• Olympic gold medalist and former Chicago Marathon winner Joan Benoit Samuelson
• Bernard Lagat, the 1,500 and 5,000 meter specialist who recently won silver and bronze medals at the world championships
• Shalane Flanagan, the 2008 Olympic bronze medal winner in the 10,000 meters
• The American record holder in the 2-mile, Matt Tegenkamp
The athletes will be available for a Q&A after providing their tips for the marathon.