Marathon Bahamas 2010 will be with first marathon in the Bahamas in the 21st century.
Written by: Mr. Franklyn R. Wilson for Marathon Bahamas 2010
As Chairman of Sunshine Insurance, I am pleased to announce our corporate decision to serve as lead organizer and major sponsor for Marathon Bahamas 2010, the first marathon of The Bahamas in the 21st century.
Marathon Bahamas will bring together runners from around The Bahamas, and every effort will be made to encourage participation from persons outside of The Bahamas.
Marathon Bahamas is conceived to be an annual event, and in an effort to encourage continuity through time and efficiency of execution, a separate non-profit legal entity has been created.
Sunshine Insurance is delighted that leaders from throughout the community have agreed to serve as subscribers to the company’s formation and/or as founding directors.
• From the country’s number one industry, Tourism
- Mr. Robert “Sandy” Sands, President Bahamas Hotel Association
- Mr. Ed Fields, Vice President Kerzner International
- Ms. Janet Johnson, Ministry of Tourism
• From one of, if not, the country’s leading Road-Runners Club, Roadmasters
- Ms. Youlanda Deveaux
• From the world of athletics
- Mrs. Pauline Davis-Thompson, a member of IAAF and legendary participant on the world stage
- Mr. Alpheus Finlayson, a past member of IAAF and past President of BAAA
• From the world of finance
- Mr. Geoff Andrews, partner at Deloitte & Touche
• From the world of medicine and health
- Dr. Beverton Moxey
- Mr. Charles Sealey, President of Doctors Hospital
We are particularly pleased that Mr. Frank “Pancho” Rahming, nationally recognized as an expert in may aspects of athletics, has agreed to serve as Race Director.
Executives from Sunshine Insurance who are also Directors of Marathon Bahamas are Brian Moodie, President; Shelly Wilson, Deputy Operations Manager; Keith Bell, General Council; and Kyron Strachan, Corporate Secretary. Ms. Veronica Duncanson, Corporate Executive for Marketing at Sunshine Insurance, shall serve as the Chief Operations Officer for Marathon Bahamas.
The date for Marathon Bahamas is Sunday, February 14th, 2010. The start time is 6:00am.
We will shortly announce the names of the charities who are to benefit from Marathon Bahamas 2010.
The route for the race is consciously being designed to showcase the beauty of New Providence.
Every effort shall be made to differentiate Marathon Bahamas from all others. This will result in entrepreneurial opportunities for all who sell and/or promote products or services which reflect the essence of The Bahamas.
Race registration forms and sponsorship packages will be available on Monday, November 2nd, 2009, and may be collected from both Sunshine Insurances Offices at Shirley Street and at our Blue Hill Road Office.
Marathon Bahamas is one of those rare opportunities for every Bahamian or resident of the country. For example, everyone is encouraged to extend invitations to overseas friends, business colleagues, old school friends, Bahamians living abroad and former residents. Let them come and spend the weekend with us.
To help deepen and widen participation, there shall be three categories:
• A full marathon
• A half marathon
• A relay marathon so that for example, a group of friends or family or from a club, church, business or school would combine to cover the full course.
There will also be numerous volunteer jobs, and we will be advising the public on these and other marathon related matters as we proceed.
Ladies and gentlemen, Sunshine Insurance (Agents & Brokers) Ltd. is pleased to be associated with a major event which can be sustained over time, and in the process, to help raise funds for charities that build the common good.