We’re learning more about the victims of Monday’s terrible accident in California. [Updated 3:00 PM PST August 12.] Click here to read more.
Monday night a horrific three-vehicle accident occurred near Bishop, California. The fiery wreck claimed the lives of two former Cathedral Catholic High School (San Diego, CA) runners who were returning home from a high-altitude training camp in Mammoth Lakes, Calif. The accident also injured a dozen members of the California Baptist University Cross Country Team and killed a coach, all of whom were in a van bound for Mammoth. Critically injured in the accident were two other former Cathedral Catholic runners and a trainer traveling with them.
This kind of event rattles the entire running community, and we know you are shaken by it as we are. In an effort to bring the running community together to process this awful blow, we provide the following links to additional information and resources:
- Group run memorializes Amanda Post and Natalie Nield: North County Times
- Cal Baptist mourns beloved cheer coach: The Press-Enterprise
- For more about the Cathedral Catholic High School runners involved: Sign On San Diego
- Tribute page created for Amanda Post and Natalie Nield: Facebook.com
- The latest on the California Baptist University team: calbaptist.edu
- Deena Kastor’s account of a hospital visit with survivors: deenakastor.competitor.com
- The Mammoth Lakes Tragedy In Context: Competitor.com
- RunCenter: Matt Fitzgerald speaks with Amanda Post and Natalie Nield’s high school cross country coach: CompetitorTV.com