More than 20 big names from a wide range of disciplines will run on November 7.
From: Running USA
Today Show television personality Al Roker will be leading this year’s celebrity line-up of runners in the ING New York City Marathon 2010 on Sunday, November 7, it was announced by New York Road Runners president and CEO Mary Wittenberg. Roker will be running his first full marathon.
“Almost everybody’s bucket list includes running the ING New York City Marathon,” said Roker. “Just the thought of being able to start this race gives me goose bumps. As does the fear that the weather might turn ugly. On the other hand, if it does that might help improve my time as I try to outrun an angry mob of soggy and cold runners!”
This year’s celebrity roster features more than 20 names that cover a wide range of disciplines, from sports to television to culinary. Most of the stars are running for one of the 190 charities involved in this year’s ING New York City Marathon’s charity program. This year’s charity campaign of “A Million Dollars a Mile” aims to raise $26.2 million.
“We’re very excited to welcome Al this year. Having someone of his background run his first marathon, in his hometown no less, is a great opportunity for everyone,” said Wittenberg. “All the celebrities running this year are integral to not only helping us reach our goal of raising $1 million per mile, but also to engaging people in the marathon.”
Other celebrity participants in alpha order with charity:
* Kirk Acevedo, actor (Team for Kids)
* Andy Baldwin, The Bachelor (ING Run for Something Better)
* Joe Bastianich, restaurateur/vineyard owner
* Tricia Byrnes, U.S. Olympian/professional snowboarder (Stoked)
* Joe Campanale, restaurateur
* Sarah Darling, Broadway star (Broadway Impact)
* Keir Dillon, professional snowboarder (Stoked)
* Anthony Edwards, actor (Shoe4Africa)
* Bobby Flay, chef/television personality
* Jared Fogle, Subway spokesperson (Jared Foundation)
* Justin Gimelstob, former professional tennis player (Justin Gimelstob Foundation/Andy Roddick Foundation)
* Brad Ludden, professional kayaker (First Descents)
* Sal Masekela, television personality (Stoked)
* Rory O’Malley, Broadway star (Broadway Impact)
* Robin Quivers, radio personality, The Howard Stern Show (15 Foundation)
* Jesse Ruben, BMG recording artist (Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation)
* Shayna Steele, Broadway star (Broadway Impact)
* Ryan Sutter, The Bachelorette (First Descents)
* Terrell Tilford, actor
* Amani Toomer, former New York Giants wide receiver (Team for Kids)
* Veronica Webb, model/actress (Harlem United)
* Ethan Zohn, Survivor: Africa champion (Grassroots Soccer)
The premier event of New York Road Runners, the ING New York City Marathon is one of the world’s great road races, drawing nearly 125,000 applicants. The race attracts many world-class professional athletes, not only for the more than $600,000 in prize money, but also for the chance to excel in the media capital of the world before two million cheering spectators and a worldwide broadcast reach of 330 million. As any one of the more than 830,000 past participants will attest, crossing the finish line in Central Park is one of the great thrills of a lifetime.
For more information, go to: www.INGnycmarathon.org