Menu

Gebrselassie And Manager Dispute NY Times Story

  • By Duncan Larkin
  • Published Nov. 18, 2010
  • Updated Nov. 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM UTC
Gebrselassie and manager, Jos Hermens, vehemently deny the recent New York Times story. Photo: PhotoRun.net

Gebrselassie and manager, Jos Hermens, vehemently deny the recent New York Times story. Photo: PhotoRun.net

The world’s fastest marathoner says the article simply isn’t true.

Two days after a story appeared in The New York Times on Gebselassie’s un-retirement, Gebrselassie and his manager, Jos Hermens, appeared on Ethiopian national television to dispute the article. In the story, reporter Jeré Longman wrote that the Ethiopian world-record holder in the marathon was under intense political pressure at home and that his phones had been tapped due to some sort of blackmail attempt.

The television announcement was conducted in Amharic, Ethiopia’s native language. According to an excerpt of the interview, Hermens said, ”I did not say that [Haile's phone was tapped] and I did not suggest any thing like that at all,” while Gebrselassie supposedly said, “It was unfortunate a media like The New York Times published these kinds of fabricated stories.”

The New York Times has yet to reply to a request to clarify the facts surrounding the article.

All this controversy surrounds Gebrselassie’s sudden decision to retire after he dropped out of the ING New York City Marathon at the 16-mile mark earlier this month.

For More: Letsrun.com

FILED UNDER: News / NYC Marathon News TAGS: / / / / / /

Duncan Larkin

Duncan Larkin

Duncan Larkin is the news editor at Competitor.com and a freelance journalist who’s been covering the sport of running for over five years. He’s run 2:32 in the marathon and won the Himalayan 100-Mile Stage Race in 2007. His first running book, RUN SIMPLE, was released last July.

Get our best running content delivered to your inbox

Subscribe to the FREE Competitor Running weekly newsletter