Menu

Jerusalem Marathon Rolls On Despite Bombs & Protests

  • By Duncan Larkin
  • Published Mar. 25, 2011
  • Updated Mar. 25, 2011 at 6:45 AM UTC

Jerusalem's first marathon kicked off on Friday. Photo: AFP

“Jerusalem will not stop running,” said the mayor.

Most marathon directors have their fair share of challenges, but how about running a race where a bombing is an actual probability? This was the case at the first annual Jerusalem Marathon on Friday.

Approximately 10,000 runners took part in the race, which wound through parts of the city’s annexed Arab sector.

Earlier in the week, a bus bombing killed a British Bible student and wounded 30 other people. This raised concerns over the security of the race, but Mayor Nir Barka insisted that the race go on.

At the scene of the bombing, Barka was defiant.”When terror attempts to disrupt our way of life, the best solution is to get back to normal as quickly as possible,” he said. “Events in Jerusalem will not be cancelled and Jerusalem will not stop running.”

Despite the controversy, the marathon and half marathon were held without incident, though there was confusion as to who won the marathon, because three leading runners took a wrong turn and ended up coming across the finish for the half marathon.

For More: AFP

FILED UNDER: News TAGS: / / / / / / / / /

Duncan Larkin

Duncan Larkin

Duncan Larkin is the news editor at Competitor.com and a freelance journalist who’s been covering the sport of running for over five years. He’s run 2:32 in the marathon and won the Himalayan 100-Mile Stage Race in 2007. His first running book, RUN SIMPLE, was released last July.

Get our best running content delivered to your inbox

Subscribe to the FREE Competitor Running weekly newsletter