This piece first appeared in the June issue of Competitor Magazine.
Written by: Deena Kastor
Homemade granola is a great way to add whole grains and protein to your morning meal. Serve this over yogurt and fresh fruit for a well-balanced start to your day.
- 2 cups barley flakes
- 2 cups oats (you can use 4 cups of oats
and omit barley, if needed)
- 2 cups nuts and seeds, such as pepitas,
sunflower, flax, slivered almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
• ¼ cup canola or nut oil
• ½ cup honey or agave nectar
• ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small saucepan, warm oil, honey and molasses until incorporated. Add vanilla, stir and add to dry mix. Toss to coat evenly. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Mix every 10 minutes while in oven to ensure even baking. Let cool completely then store in airtight container. Makes 20 servings.
Nutritional info per serving: 243 calories, 10.1g fat, 1.9g saturated fat, 13.6mg sodium, 40g carbs, 6.3g fiber, 10g sugar, 5.4g protein.
To calculate the nutritional information of your own recipes, check out Sparkrecipes.com.