- Made of non-nano zinc oxide, extra-virgin olive oil, beeswax, jojoba and cocoa butter, this Environmental Working Group top-rated sunscreen mimics a thick moisturizer that is water resistant for 40 minutes and non-stinging. Badgerbalm.com
- Rated highly by EWG, this water and sweat-resistant stick is oxybenzone, paraben and petroleum free and has a pleasing citrus scent. Made with coconut oil and beeswax, the slightly waxy stick glides on easily, but leaves a sheen behind. Beyondcoastal.com
- Toss the 40-count pouch or single application swipes in your bag or car, and you’re good to go with mess-free, paraben-free, water-resistant sun protection that won’t melt in your glove box as temps soar. Supergoop.com
- We like how quick and easy application of this oil-free, no-rub spray sunscreen is during a run or bike session. Ultra sweat and waterproof, the paraben and preservative free formula dries fast and feels light. Missionathletecare.com
- Composed of 20 percent non-nano zinc oxide, PABA and chemical-free ingredients such as aloe leaf juice and raspberry seed oil, this EWG highly rated water-resistant product feels a little thick at first, but is actually quite breathable. Thinksport.com
- Olympian and American record-holder Deena Kastor’s favorite, this California Baby water resistant sunscreen’s chemical-free, organic and sustainable ingredient list makes it safe for babies, kids and sensitive-skinned adults. Californiababy.com
This piece first appeared in the June 2011 issue of Competitor Magazine.
The Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit whose mission is to protect consumers from toxic chemicals found in everyday products, publishes a database ranking 1,400 sun protective products. EWG advises:
• Sunburns are late warnings of overexposure.
• Don’t rely on sunscreen as your sole defense against the sun.
• Use lower SPF products and apply more frequently.
• Avoid oxybenzone, a chemical that can contaminate the body.
• Government data reveals that tumors and lesions can develop faster on skin coated with vitamin A.
Check out these six excellent sunscreen options for endurance athletes in the photo gallery below. Photos by Scott Draper/Competitor.
Beyond Coastal Active Facestick SPF 30--$7
Rated highly by EWG, this water and sweat-resistant stick is oxybenzone, paraben and petroleum free and has a pleasing citrus scent. Made with coconut oil and beeswax, the slightly waxy stick glides on easily, but leaves a sheen behind. Beyondcoastal.com
Supergoop SPF 30+ Sunscreen Swipes--$34
Mission Sun Defeated Sunscreen SPF 30+ Continuous Spray--$10
Thinksport Livestrong SPF 30+ Sunscreen--$16
California Baby SPF 30+ No Fragrance Sunscreen--$20
Badger SPF 30+ Unscented Sunscreen--$16