Even with activewear, choosing clothes that flatter your body type makes all the difference.
Written by: Cielestia Calbay
Whether you’re curvy, slim, petite or full-figured, there are certain tricks that will help you look your best on the race course.
We spoke to the SUGOI design team who gave us tips on how to select clothing that will accentuate your best features and minimize areas that you want to de-emphasize.
Long and Lean
1. Use the same color for tops and bottoms.
2. Vertical design lines and panels, and print elements elongate the body and break up the width of a surface. Horizontal cut lines make you look shorter.
3. Use darker colors on the outsides of the silhouettes and brighter colors on the inside to create the illusion of a slimmer waistline and hipline.
Play Up Your Backside
4. Choose fabric panels on bottoms for a contoured fit. Stick to matte finish fabrics and avoid metallic that draws attention to trouble areas.
5. Angled design lines along the back thigh and hip will create continuity.
6. A wider waistband and yokes will make the behind shorter in appearance.
7. A contoured cuff line will elongate your arms.
8. Some cap sleeves highlight the widest part of your arm so choose a longer sleeve length with seams that contour your muscles.
9. Angled seams along the collarbone and neckline won’t cut off your chest and create a flowing aesthetic.
10. Avoid empire waistlines as they create the appearance of a lower bust.
Adidas Men’s Response Long Sleeve Crew Tee, $35
The applied stripes down the sleeves of this tee elongate the body while the angled design lines on the front create a flowing aesthetic.
Under Armour Men’s Combine Bolt Compression Short Sleeve Tee, $35
The compression fabric helps hold in trouble areas while the angled lines define the chest and back.
Sugoi RSR Women’s Tank, $60
The angled seams at the neckline flatters the chest while the contoured seams at the back and vertical panels at the side gives a long and lean look.
Lululemon See Me Ride Women’s Tights, $92
The wide waistband and contoured seams flatter the backside while the vertical zip pockets elongate the legs and add continuity.