Don’t get caught without your fitness essentials with these packs and duffels that offer plenty of storage space and easy access compartments for when you hit the road or the locker room.
1. Adidas Revel Sackpack
$22 | www.adidas.com
• Runners who are light packers will enjoy this convenient bag, which features a durable thick cord and bottom panel, and two zippered front pockets to secure your keys, ID, cards and other valuables.
2. Amnesia Backpack
$89 | www.timbuk2.com
• This roomy backpack has Velcro cinches to secure a helmet or headphones, an on-strap bottle opener and loops to attach a bike light. Its easy swing-around design makes it great for grabbing gear inside while on a bike.
3. Lululemon DTB Duffle
$78 | www.lululemon.com
• Fashion-forward runners will want to ditch their everyday handbag for this small yet functional water-resistant gym staple that has an adjustable and removable shoulder strap, exterior side pockets, an interior pocket to store your electronic devices and an interior shoe bag to keep your dirty shoes separate from everything else.
4. Patagonia Fuego Pack 32L
$85 | www.patagonia.com
• This versatile daypack can take you from the office to the trails. It uses Patagonia’s durable water-repellent fabric finish and has three compartments. The main pocket has a padded sleeve that protects up to a 17-inch laptop. Take it off-road—the sleeve has a tube port that holds a hydration reservoir.
5. Asics Huddle Duffle
$30-$50 | www.asics.com
• The Huddle Duffle comes in three sizes to accommodate your gear needs. Load your duffle with the large top opening compartment, where you can easily access your items. It features a side shoe pocket deep enough to fit up to a size 14 shoe, a sweat-proof and padded carrying handle, and multiple side pockets for extra storage.
This piece first appeared in the December 2011 issue of Competitor magazine.