Table of Contents
- Isomeric 16oz and Isomeric Race 20oz.
- Ultimate Direction Fastdraw Extreme 20oz.
- CamelBak Quick Grip with Podium Chill Bottle 20oz.
- UltrAspire Omega 70oz.
- Ultimate Direction Signature Series AK Race 40oz., SJ Ultra Vest 40oz.
- Geigerrig Rig 500 70oz.
- CamelBak Marathoner 70oz. and Ultra LR Vest 70oz.
- SteriPen Freedom
- Aquamira Frontier Pro and Frontier Emergency Filter
Ultimate Direction Signature Series AK Race 40oz., $89.95, and SJ Ultra Vest 40oz., $124.95.
Features: Designed by veteran distance runners Anton Krupicka and Scott Jurek, these vests are lightweight with plenty of thought placed upon construction. Both carry water bottles in front pockets, which our testers enjoyed as a different option than traditional bladders. They’re best as race vests where you can refill your water bottles at aid stations or have some kind of filter (see below) with you for training runs. Not having to carry bottles for those who don’t like bladders, this makes for a great option. The AK is the one to choose for anything up to 50k.
Cons: What you gain in ounces you lose in comfort. There’s no room for padding, so be conscious of where you face zippers, buttons, and fuel bars to avoid chafing and sore spots. Different sizes but limited ability to adjust beyond.