Table of Contents
New York Is Next
In order to keep the 2016 Olympic possibility alive, Keflezighi will continue to run marathons. His next 26.2-mile race is the ING New York City Marathon on November 3. Due to the 2012 cancellation of the race, and having to withdraw from the 2013 Boston Marathon due to injury, the New York race will be Keflezighi’s first marathon since the Olympics.
“With what happened in New York last year, the cancellation [due to Hurricane Sandy], and what happened in Boston [with a pair of bombs exploding at the finish line], any race is special. But competing in New York and to run the marathon, it’s going to be extra special and I’ll be more motivated than ever to put forth for USA,” he said.
RELATED: Meb Highlights Strong NYC Field
With his upcoming race in the Big Apple, Keflezighi seeks to continue his main priority: inspiring a generation and running community, something he did last August at the 2012 Olympic Marathon.
“I feel like I represent the sport of running very well, with dignity, integrity, and responsibly,” he said. “Hopefully people see me as a spokesman for that and I want to leave the sport better than it was before. If I motivate one person or ten people to do the best they can, that’s all I can ask for.”