Here’s a look at how pro runners fuel before, during and after a race.
The 2007 world champs bronze medalist in the 10,000-meter run and 36-year-old who is sponsored by Oiselle, Skechers, Nuun and Soleus watches, spends the week leading up to a marathon hydrating and building carb stores with plain white foods. Here’s what she ate before, during and after taking third at the 2012 U.S. Olympic marathon trials:
- Rolls, rice, chicken and grilled vegetables
- Banana, instant apple-cinnamon oatmeal, a couple of cups of coffee
- Nuun Energy with B vitamins to help turn carbohydrates into accessible fuel
- Nuun All Day Hydration and water
- Three hours after: club sandwich