Sample Menu Ideas and Suggestions
Here are a couple sample menu options and suggestions for making them less likely to cause you problems the night before a race.
Macaroni Grill: Make your own pasta bowl
* Spaghetti pasta (whole-wheat if not pre-race)
* Pomodoro sauce (aka marinara)
* Topped with fresh spinach (one veggie if pre-race, more if not)
* Add roasted chicken OR shrimp
Chili’s / American Diner
* Classic Sirloin 6-oz Steak: 6-oz sirloin with butter; side of seasonal veggies and loaded mashed potatoes.
Adapt to: get butter served on side, get veggies steamed and swap a baked potato for the mashed.
* Classic Turkey Toasted Sandwich: with lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese and mayo on Texas wheat toast; a side of fries.
Adapt to: swap mustard instead of mayo, white bread over wheat and get a side of chicken noodle soup or rice instead of fries. If it’s pre-race opt out of the lettuce.
About The Author:
Caitlin Chock set the then National High School 5k Record (15:52.88) in 2004. Still an avid runner, she works as a freelance writer and artist.