Ritz Out, Hall and Abdi In For Boston Marathon

A groin injury will keep Dathan Ritzenhein out of the Boston Marathon. Photo: PhotoRun.net

Kenyan Moses Mosop, second at Boston in 2011, also announces withdrawal from race. 

A handful of withdrawals and additions to the men’s elite field at the 2014 Boston Marathon were announced on Monday. American Dathan Ritzenhein, who was to be making his Boston debut, has pulled out of the race due to injury.

“I am very disappointed to withdraw from this year’s Boston Marathon,” Ritzenhein said in a release. “A groin injury this winter has kept me from doing the training it takes to run with the best in the world. April 21st will be a show of strength and community after last year’s events and I wanted so badly to be part of that. But I am resilient and will be back.”

Ryan Hall, who finished third at Boston in 2009 and fourth in both 2010 and 2011 (when he clocked 2:04:58, the fastest marathon time ever run by an American), will compete at the Boston Marathon for the fourth time in his career, it was also announced on Monday.

“I am incredibly excited to participate in this year’s Boston Marathon,” Hall said. “After watching the tragic events that unfolded at last year’s race and knowing the resilience of both the running and Boston communities, I knew this year’s race was going to be a run of redemption that I am eager to be a part of. This year’s race will undoubtedly be the most historically significant marathon in Boston’s storied history.”

American Abdi Abdirahman, a four-time Olympian and top-5 finisher at both the Chicago and New York City Marathons with a personal best of 2:08:56, will make his Boston Marathon debut seven weeks from now. Matthew Bowen, husband of 2012 Boston Marathon champion Sharon Cherop who owns a 2:10:57 personal best, will also be making his first Boston appearance at this year’s race.

“It has been a dream of mine to run the Boston Marathon,” says Abdirahman. “There is so much history behind the race and I’m glad to be to be part of it this year.”

Also withdrawing from the race is Kenyan Moses Mosop, who ran 2:03:06 to finish second at Boston in 2011, as well as last year’s eighth-place finisher, Jeffrey Hunt. “I am sorry I can’t compete in the Boston Marathon this year,” Mosop said. “Boston has a special place in my heart and deserves my best. Due to a knee injury my training has suffered and I am not at the top of my game, yet. I hope to join the Boston Marathon next year, as watching this race is not what I am about.”

Get our best running content delivered to your inbox

Subscribe to the FREE Competitor Running weekly newsletter

Top Stories

Videos

Photos