Hey DJ, turn up the beat! Or not. It’s up to you, really. A few weeks ago I shared my thoughts about running with music. While it’s not my normal practice, I also said, “Never say never.” So when my cadet, Bridget Nixdorf, and I were asked about what’s on our playlists, the results were as varied and eclectic as mood swings during a marathon.
We both agree that certain songs can cause you to over-pace, so perhaps those songs are best saved for faster workouts like intervals. But, that’s not to say maybe those are the types of songs you throw on when you’re hurting at mile 20 of the marathon (because you will hurt). A little adrenaline can go a long way, even if it’s musically induced.
Bridget and I certainly have one thing in common: we pick music that suits our personal tastes. So while we’ll share with you what’s currently downloaded on our tech, go with what really speaks to you. Whether it’s something catchy you love or something that reminds you of a time in your life when you overcame something difficult, pick the songs that hit you on a visceral level because that’s where you’ll be operating during tough workouts and on race day. They’re the ones that will help move you physically and emotionally toward your goal.
Lora’s Current Playlist
1. Babel: Mumford & Sons
2. What’s the Frequency, Kenneth: R.E.M.
3. Never Far Away: Chris Cornell
4. This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody): Talking Heads
5. Sixteen Saltines: Jack White
6. Renegades of Funk: Rage Against The Machine
7. Right Here, Right Now: Jesus Jones
8. Run Baby Run: Garbage
9. Island In The Sun: Weezer
10. Down With Disease: Phish
11. Pursuit of Happiness: Kid Cudi
12. I Will Wait: Mumford & Sons
13. Hunger Strike: Temple of the Dog
14. Forever For Her: The White Stripes
15. Walk: Foo Fighters
16. Time Won’t Let Me Go: The Bravery
17. Lost!: Coldplay
18. Best of You: Foo Fighters
19. Black Tambourine: Beck
20. Hard Sun: Eddie Vedder
21. Love Interruption: Jack White
22. All the Right Moves: OneRepublic
23. Gold On The Ceiling: The Black Keys
24. Going Through Hell: The Streets
25. Starlight: Muse
26. Celebrity Skin: Hole
27. Cheerleader: St. Vincent
28. I Start To Run: White Denim
29. Under Pressure: Queen & David Bowie
30. Piece Of My Heart: Janis Joplin
Bridget’s Current Playlist
1. On Top Of The World: Imagination Dragons
2. Carry On: Fun.
3. I Wanna Get Better: Bleachers
4. Rollercoaster: Bleachers
5. It’s The End Of The World As We Know It And I Feel Fine: R.E.M.
6. This’ll Be My Year: Train
7. Save Me, San Francisco: Train
8. Beautiful Day: U2
9. Comeback Kid (….): Brett Dennen
10. The Edge of Glory: Lady Gaga
11. Born To Run: Bruce Springsteen
12. Empire State Of Mind: JAY Z
13. Stronger: Kelly Clarkson
14. Don’t Stop Believin’: Journey
15. We Will Rock You: Queen
16. Go The Distance: Roger Bart
17. Back To The Shack: Weezer
18. Love Never Felt So Good: Michael Jackson
19. Mama Said Knock You Out: LL Cool J
20. Fighter: Christina Aguilera
For more on the Saucony 26 Strong program, which pairs up 13 coaches with 13 marathon rookies, visit 26Strong.com.