Ask The Experts gives readers the opportunity to ask questions about training, nutrition, injury prevention and equipment and have them answered on our website by our resident running experts, Mario Fraioli and Matt Fitzgerald.
Mario Fraioli is the web producer at Competitor.com. A former cross country All-American at Stonehill College and 2:28 marathoner, Mario is respected running coach in San Diego and expert on training, injury prevention and equipment.
Matt Fitzgerald is a senior editor at The Competitor Group. A 2:41 marathoner, Matt is a prolific endurance sports journalist who has authored 18 books and is an expert on training, nutrition, and injury prevention.
A new Ask The Experts feature will be posted twice a week on Competitor.com. Links to previously submitted questions can be found below. Have a question for one our experts? Send it here. Note: Due to the high volume of e-mail submissions, we regret that Mario and Matt cannot answer every question.
- I have pain in my calf. What should I do?
- I’m a new runner. Which shoes should I buy?
- Can you recommend a speed-distance device?
- Should I adjust my pace for hills & dirt?
- How do I set a goal for my first marathon?
- How many half marathons are too many?
- How do I keep my training going while traveling?
- How should I train through an injury?
- Why did I hit the wall?
- Why am I slower outdoors than on a treadmill?
- Is increasing my long run by one mile per week excessive?
- Can I get faster at 40?
- What’s your take on POSE And Chi Running?
- How many hard runs and rides should I do?
- Am I too old to run my first half marathon?
- How should I measure my body fat percentage?
- What do you think of junk miles?
- Is P90X good for runners?
- Can I double my running mileage?
- How do I improve as a runner?
- What’s the best weightlifting program for runners?
- Should I do shorter speed workouts when training for a marathon?
- Is my heart rate too high?
- Do I need a weekly day off?
- How do I find my lactate threshold?
- How do I avoid stomach troubles in marathons?
- Any ideas for a new goal after setting a marathon PR?
- How can I train for a marathon while traveling?
- How often should I replace my running shoes?
- Which supplements do runners need?
- What’s the best way to remove cortisol from your system?
- Should I adjust for heat and humidity?
- When can I start training again?
- Should I wear racing flats for the marathon?
- Can I run a half marathon in five weeks?